Arrow
Arrow
Slider

Landmarks

GEOGRAPHIC

LOCATION AND LAND AREA:

  The Municipality of Dinalungan is situated at the northern part of Aurora Province, roughly 80 kilometers from Baler, the capital town of the Province. Geographically, the municipality is found between 16° 04’47” to 16° 17’04” north latitudes and 121° 59’34” east longitudes. It is bounded in the northwest by Quirino Province, in the southeast by the Municipalities of Casiguran and Dipaculao, respectively.

  The Municipality is composed of nine (9) barangays and these have an aggregate land area of 34,597 hectares. Barangay Nipoo has the largest land area of 8,209.50 hectares or about 24% of the Municipality’s total land area while Poblacion Zone-I has the least area of 26.4 hectares or 0.07%.

TOPOGRAPHY AND SLOPE:

  The municipality is generally rugged and mountainous. The highest elevation is 1,621 meters at the ridge point of the western portion of Talaytay watershed, while the lowest elevation is zero meters above sea level. About 57% is highly moderate to high elevation highland areas exceeding 500 meters above sea level. These high land areas (mountains) are sources of rivers, streams and mountain springs draining towards Pacific Ocean and adjacent province of Quirino. The remaining 43% of the municipality is composed of hilly, lowland and coastal areas.

CLIMATE AND RAINFALL:

  Dinalungan, like other municipalities of Aurora, is situated in an area where type II climate of Corona’s Classification System exists. This classification system is an empirical system based in the temporal distribution of rainfall derived from the northeast monsoon (November to February) and the southeast monsoon (July to September). This is the reason why rainfall is more or less rarely distributed throughout the year.

LAND USE AND RESOURCES

  The municipality has a total land area of 34,597 hectares. There are six major land categories identified, viz: built-up, agricultural, forestland, grassland, river wash, beach sand. Agricultural land covers an area of 1,996.7 hectares or 5.77% of Dinalungan’s total land areas, 1,203.7 hectares are grown to coconuts. Rice cultivated area covers 789 hectares (2.28%) while fishponds have 4 hectares (0.01%) coverage. Forest land is the dominant land use of the municipality. This covers about 30,241.3 hectares or 87% of the total land area (including brush land and other lowland forest).

  The existing urban land use which includes the two Poblacion Barangays has 10 existing land uses. These are residential, institutional, commercial, industrial, agricultural, open spaces (idle lands, roads) and river wash areas. Residential is the dominant land use of the Poblacion.

LAND USE :

Land Use CategoryArea (ha)%
1.Built-up Areas130.000.38
2. Agricultural Areas
  - Rice
  - Coconut
  - Fishpond

789.00
1,203.70
4.00

2.28
3.48
0.01
Sub Total1,996.705.77
3.Forestlands
  - Community-based Forest Management Agreement (CBFMA)
  - Watershed Forest Reserves
  - Integrated Social Forestry (ISF)
  - Social Industrial Forest Management Agreement (SIFMA)
  - Timberland without legal/regulatory proclamations
  - Beach Forest
  - Mangroves

2,226.70
8,855.00
183.10
1,959.00
16,904.20
102.30
11.00

6.44
2.56
0.53
5.66
48.86
0.30
0.03
Sub Total30,241.3087.41
4.Grassland1,912.205.53
5.Riverwash Areas302.000.87
6.Beach Sand15.000.04
Grand Total34,597.00100

HUMAN RESOURCES

  Dinalungan is a rural community. It has an actual population of 12,094 in 2014. Among these population 6,191 are males (51.19%) and 5,903 are females (48.81%). There are 3,050 families and 2,595 total numbers of households.

  As to income and employment, the economically active age groups (20 Years Old to 59 Years Old) are 6,110. There are 873 Families with income below subsistence threshold (families less than Php2,667.00 per month). The poverty incidence is 30.20,meaning 3 out of 10 are below poverty threshold.